________________________________________

Monday, June 7, 2010

African Cowboys

Yesterday I was out visiting when I had the opportunity to take these photos. While on my way to visit Bismark and Matilda I passed through a place were a lot of cattle owners like to graze their herds. Most of the cows are from the north. I was able to give out some English tracts. The cowboys where from all over. One was from Mali, some were from Barkina Faso, and some were from northern Ghana. They bring their cows to Kumasi to sell and slaughter. It was very interesting to watch them work with the cows.

No one has horses, so they walk on foot. Each handler (cowboy) knows his cows. They are not branded, but painted. The men will have a lass-o. It is tired around the waist to help them hold unto a run away cow. Most watch the cows using sticks to keep the stubborn cows in line.

Here are a few picture of our African cowboys.













1 comment:

Donna Mitchell said...

I like the new background!