________________________________________

Monday, April 27, 2009

Fun before our Bible Study



Well I can finally say that I have arrived as a missionary in the minds of all the people that support us. Yes, most people that support African missionary imagine us daily fording rivers filled with crocodiles, marching through elephant grass and fighting lions, as we go out to preach the gospel, all while we single-handedly have spiritual duals with witch doctors. Though I do not fit these Western mindset of a missionary I think that I have finally filled one requirement. I have killed a snake!

Yes, this last Thursday night I had the privilege of killing my first snake. I would like to tell you that as Andrew and I where walking to visit a green mamba jumped out of a tree in front of us, and tried to bite us, and I like Indiana Jones, pulled out my machete (that people think every missionary wares on his/her back) and cut off it head with one blow, but sadly this is not what happened.

After visit some of our people and reminding them about the night meeting, Andrew and I saw a taxi driver that had stopped his car and was running to look at something. The driver was trying to kill a green mamba, that was crossing the road. (Africans do not have the same regard to preserve species as most environmentalist would like them to, here they have a simple rule: when a person sees a snake, they do not stop and ask if it is endangered, they know it will be deadly nine times out of ten, so they grab the first stone available and kills it, then finds out what it was afterwards). So knowing my social duty, I did my part, I grabbed a big rock and crushed it's head.

Over all it was a new experience. After killing the thing with the stone, all the Ghanaians around gave us pats on the back, and we got to go to the people already gathered, and rehearse our story. The wives where not as happy to hear about the presences of the snake as the men, but overall we had a chance to puff our chests and tell our warriors story!





No comments: